Updated: Feb 9, 2018
A Public Notice has been released seeking comment on the proposed Amended Nationwide Programmatic Agreement for the Collocation of Wireless Antennas. In this Notice, the Wireless Bureau proposes to amend the current Collocation Agreement “to account for the limited potential of small wireless antennas and associated equipment, including DAS and small cell facilities, to affect historic properties.” Additional clarifying amendments are also being proposed. Comments are due June 13, 2016.
The proposed Amended Collocation Agreement would supplement the two targeted exclusions from Section 106 review and the NPA that the Commission adopted in the Infrastructure Report and Order for DAS and small cell deployments, as well as the exclusions set forth in the current Collocation Agreement:
- Exclusion Relating to the Collocation of Small Wireless Antennas and Associated Equipment on Buildings and Non-Tower Structures Outside of Historic Districts: The proposed amendment to the Collocation Agreement would establish an exclusion allowing a small wireless antenna to be mounted on an existing building or non-tower structure or in the interior of a building regardless of the:
- the building or structure is inside the boundary of a historic district, or if the antenna is visible from the ground level of a historic district, the building or structure is within 250 feet of the boundary of the historic district;
- the building or structure is either a designated National Historic Landmark, or listed in or eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places; or
- the licensee or owner of the building or structure has received notification that the Commission has received a complaint from a member of the public, an Tribal Nation, a SHPO, or ACHP that the collocation has an adverse effect on one or more historic properties.
- Exclusion Relating to Minimally Visible Deployments of Small Wireless Antennas and Associated Equipment on Structures in Historic Districts or on Historic Properties: The proposed amendment to the Collocation Agreement would establish an exclusion from review for a small wireless antenna and associated equipment mounted on a building or non-tower structure (or in the interior of a building) that is a historic property or inside or within 250 feet of the boundary of a historic district, subject to visibility limits.
- Exclusion Relating to Visible Small Wireless Antennas and Associated Equipment Deployments on Historic Properties or in Historic Districts: The proposed amendments would provide narrow exclusions from the Section 106 process set forth in the NPA for visible small wireless antennas and associated equipment in historic districts under limited circumstances, such as mounted on a utility structure and other specified structures.
Further details can be found in the Public Notice and Amended Collocation Agreement, in addition, the Bureau also provides illustrative examples of small facility designs.
Please contact us with any questions.