Good afternoon from Washington, DC! Below you will find our Weekly Wireless Wrap-Up, your update on the wireless telecommunications regulatory landscape, important wireless decisions, and more! Here is your wrap-up:
- MULTIPLE TENANT ENVIRONMENTS
- On 8/22, the FCC published in the Federal Register notice that OMB had approved two provisions of the Report and Order and Declaratory Ruling that adopted new rules and clarified existing rules regarding communications services in multiple tenant environments (“MTE”). The notice announced the effective date for the rules regarding the disclosure of new and existing exclusive contracts to market services to tenants of a MTE. For more information and to view a copy of the Notice, see our post here.
- On 8/22, the Enforcement Bureau released a Report and Order announcing that USTelecom’s Industry Traceback Group was selected to continue as the registered consortium for private-led traceback efforts. For more information and to view a copy of the Order, see our post here.
- CONNECT AMERICA FUND PHASE II
- On 8/22, the Wireline Competition Bureau released a Public Notice seeking comment on extending the waiver of the letter of credit rules for certain recipients of Connect America Fund Phase II funds beyond the end of 2022. Comments are due on or before September 21, 2022 and reply comments are due on or before October 6, 2022. For more information and to view a copy of the Notice, see our post here.
- RURAL DIGITAL OPPORTUNITY FUND
- On 8/24, Commissioner Carr released a statement criticizing the FCC’s decision to deny Starlink’s long form Rural Digital Opportunity Fund (“RDOF”) application and reverse its preliminary grant of $885 million. Carr explains that the decision is contrary to the FCC’s goal of closing the digital divide, particularly for rural regions, and that it is not based upon logical conclusions from the evidence at hand. For more information, see Commissioner Carr’s statement here and our post on the FCC’s decision here.
For more information or assistance on telecommunications matters, please contact us.