Good afternoon from Washington, DC! Below you will find this week’s Weekly Wireless Wrap-Up, your update on the wireless telecommunications regulatory landscape, important wireless decisions, and more! Of note this week, the FCC announced the establishment of the Supply Chain Annual Reporting Portal and Gigi Sohn had a second nomination hearing before the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee. Here’s your wrap-up:
- Last Friday, February 4, 2022, the Office of Economics and Analytics and Wireline Competition Bureau released a Public Notice announcing the establishment of the Supply Chain Annual Reporting Portal. All providers of advanced communications services are required to report the extent to which their networks contain or used covered equipment or services. The initial report must be filed on or before May 5, 2022. For more information and to view a copy of the Notice, see our post here.
- On Tuesday, February 7, 2022, the FCC published in the Federal Register the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking seeking comment on proposed rules regarding broadband consumer labels, thereby setting the comment and reply comment dates. Comments are due on or before March 9, 2022 and reply comments are due on or before March 24, 2022. For more information and to view a copy of the Notice, see our post here.
- Also on Tuesday, the FCC published in the Federal Register a Public Notice seeking comment on potential safeguards to protect Network Outage Reporting System (“NORS”) and Disaster Information Reporting System (“DIRS”) information that will be shared with agencies granted access pursuant to the March 17, 2021 Second Report and Order. Comments are due on or before March 9, 2022. For more information and to view a copy of the Notices, see our post here.
- Yesterday, February 8, 2022, the FCC published in the Federal Register notice that the additions of § 64.1200(k)(10) and (n)(2) adopted in the Fourth Report and Order and revisions to § 64.1200(k)(10) adopted in the Order on Reconsideration have been approved by OMB and will be effective March 10, 2022. For more information and to view a copy of the Notice, see our post here.
- Finally, as a reminder, two filings are due on March 1, 2022:
- Telecommunications and interconnected VoIP providers must file an annual Customer Proprietary Network Information certification for calendar year 2021. For more information on this, see our post here.
- Facilities based providers of broadband connections to end-user locations, providers of wired or fixed wireless local exchange telephone service, providers of interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service, and facilities-based providers of mobile telephony services must file FCC Form 477 Broadband Report. The data supplied must be current as of December 31, 2021 using 2020 Census geographic codes and boundaries. For more information see our post here.
- Today, the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee held a second Nomination Hearing for Gigi Sohn. The Committee focused on Ms. Sohn’s recusal on issues related to retransmission consent, her role in the Locast litigation, and her view on key topics relevant before the FCC. For more information on Sohn’s nomination, see Congress’s website here.
For more information or assistance on telecommunications matters, please contact us.